Turning 25 has felt a lot less scary than I imagined it would. Another year has come and gone and I can’t help but wonder how in the world time has flown by so quickly! Does anyone else feel that way?
This year, I felt ready to turn 25 (although I really wouldn’t mind the clock slowing down just a tad). It was the first time I didn’t feel overwhelmed by the pressures of life. With no heart break to linger on for the first time in two years, it was a light hearted celebration of firsts. I felt confident, content. Even though I have no set plan for myself, I don’t feel afraid of the uncertainty. It’s a part of my life I now embrace.
So, what have I learned up until now that has me feeling so excited for this new, quarter life chapter? Here are 25 things I’ve learned at 25:
- Some people are getting married, while others are still trying to figure out how to do their laundry. It’s a balance
- This is the time to make mistakes, so don’t get down on yourself
- Failures are lessons in disguise
- Love is tricky, and it’s okay not to have it all figured out
- Focus on loving yourself; you will have all of the time in the world to love someone else, but you will be a much better lover if you tend to yourself now
- What you see on Instagram is what everyone wants you to see. Don’t forget that
- Coffee is the blessing you never asked for, but deserve
- Everyone has been hurt. Share your compassion with others
- Uncertainty is an opportunity for adventure
- Not everything you do needs to be aimed at creating success, money, or to further your career. We’re still allowed to have fun!
- Two day hangovers are a thing (but why??)
- It’s never too late to start doing something you love
- You are not too old to be single
- Bars are a lot less appealing than they once were, but nights in spent with your friends are that much more worth it
- You probably still don’t feel like an adult, but who really does?
- Good friends are harder to make, so cherish the close friends you are so unbelievably lucky to have
- Naps are not only acceptable, but encouraged
- Your bank account will have it’s highs and lows, but you’ve found a healthy balance (sort of)
- Online shopping is a lifesaver!
- Self-help books are a lovely way to make you feel like you partially have your life together
- Your true passions won’t die with age
- You appreciate everything your parents have done and continue to do for you so, so much
- Sometimes it feels like the clock is ticking and time is running out to get certain things checked off your list, but it isn’t. Relax- you have so much time!
- Confidence grows with the years
- You will never be as young as you are at this moment; enjoy it
These are just a few of the many lessons I’ve learned so far in my 25 years on this journey. They’ve come from both the highs and lows of my life, but I cherish them each the same. I wouldn’t be the person that I am today without the hardships I’ve faced in the past. What are some lessons you’ve found valuable in your life? What have they taught you so far? I’d love to hear your thoughts!